The City of West Melbourne’s Hometown Heroes program honors residents who are actively serving in the U.S. Armed Forces or are veterans, as well as deceased veterans who were immediate family members of current residents, and who had close ties to West Melbourne in life. To celebrate Veterans Day, the City will display Hometown Heroes street pole banners along West New Haven Avenue between Circle Drive and Interstate 95. The banners will include the honoree’s name, branch of service, era of service, and photograph.
To qualify for a banner, honorees must be either:
• a current City of West Melbourne resident who is a United States Armed Forces active duty or honorably discharged service member; or
• a deceased veteran who is the immediate family member of a current City of West Melbourne resident, and who had close ties to the City. Immediate family members include wife or husband, son or daughter, mother or father, or grandson or granddaughter.
Qualified nominees will be selected on a first come, first served basis. In order to have a banner included in the 2023 Veterans Day display, the nomination must be received by September 8.
There is no cost to apply to the Hometown Heroes program. If you have questions about the nomination form, qualifications, or the program, please contact the West Melbourne City Administration Department at (321) 837-7771.
Please submit the following items by mail or hand delivery to the City Administration Department, City Hall, 2240 Minton Road, West Melbourne, FL 32904, or by email to email@example.com:
1. Completed Nomination Form.
2. High-quality photograph of the honoree in uniform.
3. Copy of military service verification (DD-214).
4. If the honoree is living, a completed Honoree Release Form.